Thursday, May 4, 2017

Counting by 7s

Counting by 7s


The book I'm currently reading is Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan. So far in the book a 12 year old girl named Willow Chance. Willow starts middle school and she is a very smart girl for her age. She is accused of cheating on a state test because she got a perfect score. Though she didn't she meets with a counselor named Dell Duke and makes a friend named Mai and her brother. One day after Dell takes them to eat ice cream they take Willow home to find that her parents have died in a car crash. Willow is left shattered and gets taken to a place where she would be safe until she got a home. Mai later ends up in hospital and escapes going to the library. Later on she is found and is approved to stay with Mai and her family temporarily and is living with them for now. 

The most important event that has happened in the book so far is that Willow lost her parents to a car accident "... he stepped on the accelerator believing he could just glide right through the red signal. Jimmy died on the scene but was still put into an ambulance and taken to the hospital with his wife. Roberta stopped breathing three hours later during emergency surgery." Pg 104 Showing how Willow had lost her parents to a car accident and was left emotionally shattered. She changed after that occurred, she wasn't the same. "I sit on the front steps. The tears will not stop. And I almost never cry. But I'm not myself. I will forever be someone else now." Pg.110 This accident made Willow change and shut out the world. This accident made Willow end up without parents for the second time. "I'm an only child. I'm adopted. And I'm different. As in strange." Pg.9 Willow had been put up for adoption by her real parents. Making her loose them and then her foster parents adopted her but she lost them as well. She lost her parents for the second time and it was painful for her.  

The thing that I have learned about life from what I am reading is that I should appreciate and love those around me. I learned this because seeing Willow loose her parents made me see that I am lucky to have my parents and siblings with me. That I should love them while I have them with me. That I shouldn't take them for granted. This is something that I have learned from the book I am reading. As well as that I should be who I am and not anyone bring me down. Just like how Willow doesn't kids from her school or principal bring her down when she gets accused of cheating.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Final Reflection

Finall Reflection  Three most important things I learned this year were to always improve your writing, To annotate the articles you read...